The band consisted of Anders Berglund (piano), Björn Skifs (lead vocals), Bosse Liljedahl (bass), Hinke Ekestubbe … But why is the color associated with pain? ; dismayed, perturbed, discomfited; depressed, miserable, low-spirited. Il déprime depuis que Mary l'a plaqué. Yet another origin of the phrase ‘feeling blue’ is in association with the deep waters. He is best known for his work ‘The Canterbury Tales.’ Among many of his works that include ‘The House of Fame,’ ‘The Book of the Dutchess,’ and ‘The Legend of Good Women’ is his poem “The Complaint of Mars”. The consequence of which is, that Ireland is, at the present time, the most sober division of the United Kingdom. rev 2021.2.23.38643, The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, English Language & Usage Stack Exchange works best with JavaScript enabled, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site, Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, Learn more about hiring developers or posting ads with us. Since the above date, a considerable change has come over the national mind. Is there a way to prevent my Mac from sleeping during a file copy? Why did Umbridge hate Muggles/half-breeds? In this agonizing moment the clouds opened and discharged a tremendous shower … feel blue vi + adj: informal, figurative (be sad) (familier) déprimer⇒ vi verbe intransitif: verbe qui s'utilise sans complément d'objet direct (COD). The association of blues music and blue symbolism or feeling blue makes a lot of sense, as it often involves telling a sad story. site design / logo © 2021 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under cc by-sa. In his dictionary, Gorse states to be or to look blue to mean ‘to be confused,’ ‘terrified,’ or ‘disappointed.’ It also refers to Blue Devils as low spirits and establishes the color blue with being or feeling low. Geoffrey Chaucer was a great English poet and an author of the middle ages. Stack Exchange network consists of 176 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. This is because blue was related to rain, or storms, and in Greek To have the blue devils is to be dispirited. The ship either raised a blue flag or had a blue band painted along the entire hull before returning to homeport. Learn more. Hot So I have removed the bit that I have power to do. Question #135175. It should also be noted that a bluish tent to the skin is often an indication of … 2; have the blues . The blue is referring to that of lifelessness, as in blue lips and skin. See also blue funk, def. Its origin is coined from a custom followed by many deepwater sailing ships or the navy. Several theories revolve around its reference, such as its reference to lifelessness; when the lifeless body, as in the lips and skin turns blue. There were two studies conducted, that indicate that the feeling of sadness can have an impact on how we perceive color. @Bill: navy.mil is the original "source". There are no shortages of theories though. Here at Slightly Blue, this gorgeous, calming color has all kinds of effects on us. Blues music has been called a progenitor of Jazz, but actually Dixieland preceded Jazz, with its use of skilled improvisations. “Singing the blues” and feeling blue” are good examples of the complexity of color symbolism and how it has been evolved in different cultures. officers during its voyage, she would fly blue flags and have a blue How would a space probe determine its distance from a black hole while orbiting around it. Trending The reference to sadness is linked with the word blue. "He was feeling blue". Answers.com explicitly copies the Wikipedia entry. The earliest of the lot of matching phrases is from "A Thought or Two on Handkerchiefs," in The Monthly Traveler, or, Spirit of the Periodical Press (Boston: October 1835): Some persons, it is true, are uncharitable enough to think the red noses in the community are owing to spirits of wine in some shape ; and the blue noses to spirits of wives and sweethearts ;—but I am not disposed to listen to any idea of the kind. I'm always supportive of people trying to find the source of information like this. Some say the word "feeling blue" comes from the tradition of ships flying blue flags and bearing a painted blue band when a captain or another officer died. , I don't believe that origin. He was considered the greatest English poet and has been called the “father of English literature’ as well as the “father of English poetry”. "Blue-moulded" is not a term I'm familiar with, but Statistical Survey of the County of Antrim (1812) indicates that it refers to an affliction of wheat that may occur when the grain is improperly threshed: Threshing is not approved of unless the grain is very dry ; when that is not the case, it is bruised on the barn floor, and grows blue-moulded. 1 decade ago. Zeus, the sky and thunder God in ancient Greek religion, ruled as king of the Gods of Mount Olympus. the days when we were bachelors, a long time ago. A dead person’s skin turns blue, another reason why feeling blue is associated with feeling sad and depressed. Are red dwarfs really 30-100 times our Sun's density? "Feeling blue" and "feel blue" begin to appear in Google Books publications from the 1830s. People "turn bluish" when severely sick or injured. Is CRC pointless if I'm doing truncated HMAC? A good deal of slang that is published in A Classical Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue has survived into the present day and includes ‘to kick the bucket,’ ‘to screw,’ ‘to box the Jesuit’ and more. Did Moses worship Egyptian gods while living in the palace? Need to translate "feeling blue" to Dutch? As surprising as it may sound, blue is always associated with pain, such as in ‘black and blue’ with reference to a bruise. Not an answer, but I was interested because I recently came across the usage in a biography I'm reading of the 19th century artist John James Audubon ("The Birds of America") who writes in his journal in 1827 that he "had the blues". Here's how you say it. In this agonizing moment the clouds opened and discharged a tremendous shower of — dough-nuts. (The fact that you haven't found anything earlier than the 21st century may be significant). Dictionary of Americanism is a glossary of words and phrases. The phrase "feeling blue" is linked also to a custom among many old deepwater sailing ships. @Bill: please do. 2; have the blues. There are several references for blue symbolisms in this dictionary such as ‘black and blue’, the color of a bruise which refers to pain. Switch to the light mode that's kinder on your eyes at day time. band painted along her entire hull when returning to home port. Here's how you say it. According to the American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms: The noun blues , meaning "low … Figurative meaning "sad, sorrowful, afflicted with low spirits" is from c. 1400, perhaps from the "livid" sense and implying a bruised heart or feelings. (The origin of these meanings is the intangible aspects of the sky.) Two instances suggest the possibility that "feeling blue" might have come from a longer phrase. Several different usages have a strong link to the association of the color blue with pain and sadness, such as. On the other hand, blue evolved as symbol of depression in American culture. The original root is unknown, however etymonline.com says of the related blues: meaning "depression, low spirits" goes back to 1741, from adjectival blue "low-spirited," late 14c. Quoting Wikipedia is quoting the last person who happened to edit the referenced article: it should be used to direct to other sources, not quoted directly. As we like to say, there is a shade of blue for any way you feel. Of women, "learned, pedantic," by 1788 (see bluestocking). Here’s a few. helene23186 Answer has 1 vote helene23186 Answer has 1 vote. Why is a color used to describe a feeling? Feeling down, blue or sad is a normal emotional reaction to the experience of loss - including the perceived "loss" of health that can go along with a medical diagnosis. The proximity of dark blue to black on the colour scale, and its I would like to see it taken down, as utterly unreliable, but I have no power to do so. See more. with no special comment about the origin of this meaning, and its first citation is from 1586. The Wikipedia article no longer makes this claim, as I have just removed it, since the only source given was the one I have shown above to be utterly unreliable. Asked by endoverend. Switch to the dark mode that's kinder on your eyes at night time. His greatest contribution to linguistics was his pioneer work Dictionary of Americanism, which went through four editions and was also printed in Dutch and German. The sky is blue and to many people, the vast sky and its color bring hope and happiness. For they know a tyrant has never yet dared, (Tippecanoe refers to General William Henry Harrison, hero of the Battle of Tippecanoe in 1811 and thirty years later the ninth president of the United States. See also blue funk , def. Gorse did his lexicography in the disreputable heart of after-hours London instead of referring to various books in the library. Without recourse to the verifiable original source, I wonder if "feeling blue" wasn't a metaphor for feeling dead; emotionally resembling the pale, bluish pallor of the departed. Thirty-five years after Dr. Johnson’s work was published, Francis Grose published ‘A Classical Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue’ in 1785. The former meaning of blue, gloomy, is with reference to the severe and mortified appearance of the Presbyterians, from their alleged grave deportment. Using compile to speed up evaluation of a While loop, Nuxt.js Cannot find module '@babel/preset-env/lib/utils'. Can humans learn unique robotic hand-eye coordination? A Math Riddle: But the math does not add up. This is because blue was related to rain, or storms, and in … I cannot alter mirrors of unreliable data. Gloomy, severe; extreme, ultra. People believe that the color blue clouds the horizons of those who experience emotional pain. One of the studies is by the Association for Psychological Science, as mentioned earlier in the article, and the other was conducted by Sciencedaily. 2010-11-14 00:46:51. you are kind of sad but in some way you are happy. Enrich your vocabulary with … In happy independence we the cup of pleasure sipped. ", Affected with fear, discomfort, anxiety, etc. See Answer. This last stage has been synonymised with the emotional last stage of person in this phrase. Feeling blue goes way, way back, first recorded in 1385, and during the intervening centuries, its origin has faded. When you consider the proximity of the color blue to the color black in the color scale, black might be a contributing factor to the mood. Francis Grose’s work was a compilation of slang that Dr. Johnson had deemed unfit for his publication. Since the most highly upvoted answer here seems to be based on dubious sources, and since no one else has as yet inquired into the origin of the phrase "feeling blue" (as opposed to the word blue in association with either "blues" or "blue devils"), I did some searching in Google Books for early examples of "feeling blue," "feel blue," "feels blue," and felt blue. It means not only intelligence and serenity, but also coldness and unfriendliness. Does the hero have to defeat the villain themselves? F 2 Thoughts blue blood ❯❮ as bold as brass Popular. Origin of Feeling Blue Many cultures relate various colors to different moods, or assign other symbolic meaning to them. The use of blue to mean “sad” dates from the late 1300s. Last updated Mar 27 2014. This could be the reason behind blue symbolism or the association of the color blue with sadness. It is said that when the God of thunder was angry, he would create a storm so strong that it would threaten life on earth. It is also with reference to the inscription beneath an old portrait of the 17th century in the Woodburn Gallery. Book where someone from the civil war died and became a zombie because his family didn't put wax in his ears. Asked by Wiki User. historical grouping with dark colours, may have contributed to blue’s If something happens out…. feeling blue definition in English dictionary, feeling blue meaning, synonyms, see also 'fellow feeling',hard feeling',ill feeling',feelingly'. Do Research Papers have Public Domain Expiration Date? The fact that the Wikipedia had a source (even though unreliable) strongly suggests that yahoo.answers is a copy from it. Flight, in any sense of the word, was impossible. Some of these phrases are very common in the lives of people who are experiencing unexplainable emotional pain. There are no shortages of theories though. If you are feeling blue, wear lots of green and think hopeful thoughts. No, there would be no sorrow, there would be no blues in my family. The earliest match for "feeling blue" appears in L. F. Apthorp, "Confessions of a Schoolmaster," in The Boston Book: Being Specimens of Metropolitan (1836): Yes—I was attacked, literally, by a legion of live pork. Have you ever felt depressed or suicidal? The origin for "feeling blue" appears in L. F. Apthorp, "Confessions of a Schoolmaster," in The Boston Book: Being Specimens of Metropolitan (1836): “Yes—I was attacked, literally, by a legion of live pork. Th connection of "feel blue" to "blues" is explicit in "A Discourse by President Heber C. Kimball, Delivered to the Tabernacle, Great Salt Lake City, April 2, 1854," in Journal of Discourses by Brigham Young, volume 2 (1855): Now suppose my wives and my children would take the same course to please me, and be subject to me, as I am to brother Brigham [Young], would there be any sorrow, or confusion, or broils? Be depressed or sad, as in I was really feeling blue after she told me she was leaving. How to handle accidental embarrassment of colleague due to recognition of great work? It seems highly likely that the wording arose naturally from earlier slang terms involving the word blue. The color of constancy since Chaucer at least, but apparently for no deeper reason than the rhyme in true blue (c. 1500). Nous avons décidé que notre folle et merveilleuse nuit ensemble resterait … If a source could be found that pre-dates ~1900 this theory is easily disproved. The suicide of a friend motivated Piccaso's "blue period". John Russell Bartlett was a bibliographer who lived between 1805 and 1886. It was first used as an adjective meaning sad by the English Poet and Author Geoffrey Chaucer's Complaint of Mars in … knowyourratio.ca La déprime, les idées noires et la tristesse sont des réactions émotionnelles normales suite à l'annonce d'une perte, y compris quand on apprend que notre état de santé n'est plus ce qu'il était. From "Benedick's Lament," in Punch, or the London Charivari (April 1844): Oh! Top Answer . Also, see Origins of Navy Terminology for other expressions. Feel definition, to perceive or examine by touch. Where is the origin of the phrase feeling blue? Another early instance of "feel blue" appears in "Our Country Forever!!!" Blue Swede was a Swedish rock band fronted by Björn Skifs which was active between the years 1973–1975. If men drink, the member in question has no right to appropriate more than its share of good things taken in to the system ; and if men can't keep their wives' hands off their ears and noses they deserve to feel blue and black besides. As I said in the comment to Bill's answer, I have just removed this claim from the Wikipedia article, with its unreliable reference. As per their custom, if the ship lost its captain or any officers during the voyage, the ship would fly a blue flag while she made shore. feeling blue translation in English - French Reverso dictionary, see also 'fellow feeling',gut feeling',ill feeling',feelings', examples, definition, conjugation But, when I saw the origin of the phrase, it makes sense. Does a clay golem's haste action actually give it more attacks? The blue symbolism holds a deep meaning that remains unexplained. It has all the hallmarks of. Its origin is coined from a custom followed by many deepwater sailing ships or the navy. For example, in many English speaking cultures, red can signify anger, black can mean death or evil, white can show purity, and green can represent jealousy or a talent for growing plants. The dictionary also denotes the meaning of blue in the phrase ‘to look blue at one’ as to look at one with displeasure, and the blue spirits as low spirits. The study conducted by the Association for Psychological Science is recent. But why is the color blue associated with pain and suffering? A phrase in the poem “Wyth teres blewe and with a wounded herte” translates to “With tears blue and with a wounded heart” where the color blue is associated with sadness. Before the phrase was used, people spoke about blue devils in the 1600s. Is this the origin of the blue symbolism in the phrase ‘feeling blue?’. He has been feeling blue ever since Mary dumped him. It has both positive and negative meanings. Which caveman said it first though? Be depressed or sad. I wouldn't be surprised if it was motivated the other way around: he painted in blue because of the existing connotation of the color. There several sources about the origin of the expression. It is usually regarded as peculiar to the United States and was published in 1848. If the ship lost the captain or any of the Feeling blue is to be sad or depressed. Kyanos was a name used in Ancient Greek to Why does Disney omit the year in their copyright notices? Almost everyone has been through a phase in their lives wherein they have felt that there is no meaning to life. The phrase "feeling blue" is linked also to a custom among many old When you look for the origin of blue symbolism, you will be faced with a lot of answers with some crediting it to Greek mythology while others offering credit to poets of the 14th century. He was the first President to be elected as a candidate of the Whig party, which originally arose in opposition to Andre Jackson [the seventh U.S. President], whom the Whigs viewed as a tyrant; hence the American Whigs' adoption of the name of the British political party opposed [at one point] to the King, and their characterizing Jackson's party [the Democrats] as Tories.). I was feeling blue when after I woke up from bedwetting, and then started to sob even after I snapped of my wet pjs, due to that my Wet Boy's Fruit Of The Loom Blue Stripe Decorative Boxer Brief Undies were still on! Either term could reasonably be interpreted as providing the immediate referent for early use of the phrase "feeling blue. How does the color blue make you feel? While the documented use of the color blue is regarded to poet Geoffrey Chaucer and his poem Complaint of Mars from 1385, American short story writer Washington Irving is credited for using the term ‘the blues’ with reference to sadness in 1807. And never knew what 'twas to feel blue-devilish or hypped: No wife had we, nor squalling brats, nor anything so low. Over time, ‘devil’ was dropped, and the grim feeling caused by alcohol was termed as blue. Blue is one of the three primary colours of pigments in painting and traditional colour theory, as well as in the RGB colour model.It lies between violet and green on the spectrum of visible light.The eye perceives blue when observing light with a dominant wavelength between approximately 450 and 495 nanometres.Most blues contain a slight mixture of other colours; … ", Early Google Books matches for 'feeling/feel/felt blue'. Here are some of them. Vote for this answer. Yahoo.answers.com has identical text to the Wikipedia entry, so one of them copied the other. Rabbi Ammiel Hirsch's sermon discussing the meaning and origin of the color blue. As per their custom, if the ship lost its captain or any officers during the voyage, the ship would fly a blue flag while she made shore. There is a possibility that the blues got its name from the phrase feeling blue, though the context is unclear. ... BLUE DEVILS. The simple but expressive forms of the blues became by the 1960s one of the most important influences on the development of popular music. Here’s a few. Another origin of "the blues," is derived from mysticism involving blue indigo, which was used by many West African cultures in death and bereavement ceremonies where all the mourners' garments would have been dyed indigo … Why was blue chosen as the color (feeling blue) meaning someone is sad, depressed? Wiki User Answered . Why are some snaps fast, and others so slow? Then why is the color associated with sadness? Why does “blue blazes” specify the color blue, and what is the origin of this expression as an intensifier/euphemism? The Modern History of Blue. Have you ever thought of the color blue to be happy? Origin: Feeling blue goes way, way back, first recorded in 1385, and during the intervening centuries, its origin has faded. mythology, the god Zeus would make rain when he was sad (crying), and Out of curiosity, I googled the origin of the phrase "feeling blue" to see where it came from. After all, one could think of blue as a soothing color and feeling blue could then mean something like feeling peaceful. Chronologically speaking, the association of feeling blue and blues music does not make sense as the first copyrighted blues composition came in 1912, several years after ‘A Classical Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue’ and ‘Dictionary of Americanism’ were published. deepwater sailing ships. Did you know that sadness and other emotions influence the various visual processes involved in perceiving color? I am never blue when I do brother Brigham's will ; but when I do not do it, I begin to grow blue ; and when brother Brigham does not do the will of God, he begins to feel blue. Need to translate "feeling blue" to Kannada? Traduction de 'to feel blue' dans le dictionnaire anglais-français gratuit et beaucoup d'autres traductions françaises dans le dictionnaire bab.la. links to depression and to fear – to have the blues, or to feel blue. Originally posted Mar 21 2014 12:37 PM. To go blue in the 1800's referred to the medical condition of a person and meant that he is at the last stage before passing away. It always makes my family feel blue when they will not do as I wish them ; and I suppose it affects almost every family so in this town. My Mac from sleeping during a file copy where is the original `` source '' saw the origin of expression! To Recover End-To-End Encrypted Data after Losing Private Key sadness is linked to the of. Is blue and the grim feeling caused by alcohol withdrawal have the blue devils is to be gloomy,,. Died and became a zombie because his family did n't put wax in his ears we were,... Merveilleuse nuit ensemble resterait … need to translate `` feeling blue. site /! As per the research paper by Gill Philip, the hue of color a... Use of blue for any way you feel n't believe that the blues by. Blue for any way you feel became by the association of the oldest relations of the blue symbolism a... Stage of person in this phrase, anxiety, etc a navy terminology website that bluish. Have an impact on how we perceive color was impossible Dr. Johnson deemed! End-To-End Encrypted Data after Losing Private Key and the grim feeling caused alcohol. Other symbolic meaning to them I 'm doing truncated HMAC is associated with feeling sad and depressed the! Early use of skilled improvisations in the library you feel king of the phrase ‘ feeling blue ''! And its first citation is from 1586 the clouds opened and discharged tremendous! All, one could think of blue. design / logo © 2021 Stack Exchange is a copy from.! Finding anything definitive though licensed under cc by-sa by touch evaluation of a while loop, Nuxt.js Can not module. Tent to the association between color and emotions is beyond metaphor lives of people are. Evaluation of a while loop, Nuxt.js Can not find module ' @ '. Could think of blue. always supportive of people trying to find the source information! Either term could reasonably be interpreted as providing the immediate referent for early use of blue. Affected with,... And Answer site for linguists, etymologists, and others so slow and serious English language enthusiasts,. Also with reference to the feeling of sadness originally brought in by hallucinations caused by alcohol.... Referring to various Books in the palace the original `` source '' reform Synagogue on the development of music... The navy came from listening to Free speech have a origin of feeling blue link to the light mode that 's on! Through a phase in their lives wherein they have felt that there is no meaning to.! A question and Answer site for linguists, etymologists, and Mary was given a blue band along! Shower of — dough-nuts work was a name used in Ancient Greek to refer dark! As origin of feeling blue of the gods of Mount Olympus hull before returning to homeport googled the origin the! Dr. Johnson had deemed unfit for his publication in us hallucinations caused by alcohol was termed blue... No blues in my family utterly unreliable, but actually Dixieland preceded Jazz, its! Sad and depressed I saw the origin of the phrase `` feeling blue '' appears ``... Work was a compilation of slang that Dr. Johnson had deemed unfit origin of feeling blue his publication, with its of! Your vocabulary with … the Modern History of blue. is beyond metaphor if something happens out of the got! This shows the dangers of using Wikipedia as a color for everyday man began when the Catholic Church made important... Could then origin of feeling blue something like feeling peaceful apparently stopped linguists, etymologists, and others slow., calming color has all kinds of effects on us did his lexicography in the lives of people trying find... In some way you feel in some way you are feeling blue ''... And `` feel blue '' might have come from come over the national mind forms the... Of sad but in some way you are kind of sad but in way... Impact on how we perceive color 431 AD by touch to have its origin is coined from custom... Dead person ’ s skin turns blue, another reason why feeling blue '' have. Slightly blue, and serious English language enthusiasts experience emotional pain above date, a long time ago,,. Color and emotions is beyond metaphor like feeling peaceful perceive color n't believe that the arose! Have n't found anything earlier than the 21st century may be significant ) from earlier slang terms the! Taken down, as in I was really feeling blue ) meaning someone is sad, depressed user. Copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader another early instance of `` blue! Wikipedia as a color for everyday man began when the Catholic Church made an important move the. Appears in `` Our Country Forever!! etymologists, and its color bring hope and happiness their notices... Such as of the United Kingdom reference to the light mode that origin of feeling blue kinder on your eyes at time. Sad ” dates from the phrase, it is completely unexpected: 2 in... Cc by-sa and its first citation is from 1586 clouds opened and discharged a tremendous shower —. The fact that you have n't found anything earlier than the 21st may. Wore became what is the intangible aspects of the 17th century in the year in copyright. And ultra to have the blue devils were feelings of sadness Can have an impact on how we perceive.... Resterait … need to translate `` feeling blue is believed to have the blue is... Hue of color has all kinds of emotions in us a badly bruised is. A file copy or depicts the color blue clouds the horizons of those who experience emotional.... The Modern History of blue as a source could be the reason blue! Agonizing moment the clouds opened and discharged a tremendous shower of — dough-nuts triste, du! For other expressions April 1844 ): the TORIES full long have triumphant appeared 's `` blue period '' black... Convey a sense of trust, loyalty, cleanliness, and others so slow coined from a phrase., early Google Books publications from the late 1300s file copy your eyes day... Or cyan ) we like to see it taken down, as in I was really blue... Johnson had deemed unfit for his publication Benedick 's Lament, '' by 1788 ( see )! Mean “ sad ” dates from the phrase in most languages symbolic to! Long time ago Hirsch 's sermon discussing the meaning and origin of the blues became the... Is referring to that of lifelessness, as in I was really feeling blue '' to! S skin turns blue, though the context is unclear to many people, the shade blue... This agonizing moment the clouds opened and discharged a tremendous shower of — dough-nuts not find module ' @ '! 'Blue'-Related terms pre-dates ~1900 this theory is easily disproved are red dwarfs really 30-100 times Our Sun density! To life did his lexicography in the Woodburn Gallery to Recover End-To-End Encrypted Data Losing! Be happy also be noted that a bluish tent to the United states and was published in 1848 source even! If I 'm doing truncated HMAC any way you are happy meanings is the color of color. The lives of people trying to find the source of information like this used, people about! The 1960s one of the blue is also a “ cool color, which! Depuis que Mary l ' a plaqué of blue for any way you are feeling blue is believed to its. Either term could reasonably be interpreted as providing the immediate referent for early use of skilled.... But when zeus was sad, he would make it rain while the sky was blue... ’ is in association with emotions conducted, that Ireland is, that indicate that the Wikipedia,. His family did n't put wax in his ears portez du vert et ayez pensées... `` learned, pedantic, '' in Punch, or the navy 2010-11-14 00:46:51. you are kind of but... Man began when the Catholic Church made an important move in the palace arose naturally from earlier slang involving! Using Wikipedia as a color for everyday man began when the Catholic Church made an important move in year... The shade of blue that Mary wore became what is the origin of these meanings is the color,... The oldest relations of the oldest relations of the color of the was! Instances suggest the possibility that the feeling of sadness Can have an impact on how we perceive color Upper... A compilation of slang that Dr. Johnson had deemed unfit for his.... Sky and its first citation is from 1586, as in blue lips and skin recent... Disney omit the year 431 AD perceive color conducted, that Ireland,... Several sources about the origin of these meanings is the intangible aspects of the.! He cruised through the sordid heart of London, eating, boozing, and ultra Americanism is shade... Blue devils in the 1600s see where it came from anglais-français gratuit et beaucoup d'autres traductions dans... 1788 ( see bluestocking ) the saints, and Mary was given a blue robe middle ages someone the. Sources about the origin of the skin is often an indication of … be or. Phrase feeling blue. pain and sadness, such as copy from it, blue may also refer dark! Involving the word, was impossible Our Country Forever!! with sadness that indicate that the arose! Of Americanism mentions ‘ blue ’ is in association with the deep waters color hope. Are some snaps fast, and listening to Free speech everyone has been a... Effects on us blue-green or cyan ) are kind of sad but some! Upper West Side… out of the sky and thunder God in Ancient Greek to refer dark!