We scrambled up a horrible loose bowling ball gully that The Sydney Route starts up and at the top traversed directly under the cliff to the base of the route. Frenchmans Cap, located in the Gordon-Franklin Wild Rivers National Park is one of Tasmania’s most beautiful and challenging hikes. Obvious crack? October 10, 2017 Travel + Adventure James. You can either start by climbing Yvette (a classic 5.9+ crack in the slab below the prow) or scramble on the left to a belay below the main buttress. Well-defined, well-maintained tracks, as well as scrambling and cairns at the summit. Climbing Frenchmans Cap. The third day of out walk to climb Frenchmans Cap in November 2013. Quality hiking gear is beneficial and a decent fitness level. Distance: 15 km; Time: 5-7 hours further walk on from Le Grand Pump. Obvious waterfall? We scrambled up a horrible loose bowling ball gully that The Sydney Route starts up and at the top traversed directly under the cliff to the base of the route. We replaced this sling and rapped about 40m to the ground. A steep, continuous climb, the track passes jagged peaks and the spectacular cirque of Lake Tahune. Length– 46 … Get to the small town of Chilcoot on hwy 70 one way or the other and turn up Frenchmans lake road (284). Please submit any useful information about climbing Frenchman's Cap that may be useful to other climbers. I was overcommited and just had to suck it and downclimb it but its certainly one of the stupidest things ive done in recent memory. The white quartzite of its summit dome, which looks a bit like a French … On the way there we passed through Derwent Bridge and the terminus of the renowned Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park Overland track. Frenchmans Cap Basics. Packrafting the Franklin and Frenchmans -- by Wild Oates Productions -- Framegrabs.21.47 PM_1200px. We then downclimbed a little way on the Coxs Castle side of the waterfall andf found a ratty old sling around a loose chockstone. Getting back to the start of Elecktra and our bags involved some serious bushbashing along the base of the cliff - i would suggest bringing proper walking shoes and long pants! I scaled a ~5m pillar that leans against the cliff, then up a series of small crack lines. Hi Neil, Would  you add your edits to the Guide? Generally done on Day 2 or Day 3 of the Frenchmans Cap Track, this outstanding hike takes walkers to the summit of Frenchmans Cap. We never located any block or thread as a belay either. Absolutely magical and 13 years on still the best walk I’ve done! Frenchman's lake is less than an hour from Reno. I hiked Frenchmans Cap back when I was 16 – and to this day is the best hike I’ve ever done! For climbers, Frenchmans Cap offers a variety of trad routes on generally sound, quartzite rock. We did Elecktra over xmas - an excellent route, but the descent was a bit more involved than the guide made out. The gully was a really horrible experience - quite dangerous having people below you as it was impossible not to knock big blocks off which went tumbling down. Frenchmans Cap is a moderate to difficult hike depending on ones abilities. Well it’s been about a year since I’ve done a post here, I figure it’s time to write some more… Now back home in Tasmania, I’ve returned to my usual habits of chaotically attacking my various goals while including as much adventure on the side as possible. Weather permitting we climb to Frenchman’s Cap from our base camp at Irenabyss. We took 8 days, walked in – through the Sodden Loddon and bush bashed our way out to the Franklin to drift on lilos through to the Irenabyss Gorge! RAPPING OFF down the back is RECOMMENDED! The 350 meter SE Face is the sheerest vertical drop in all of Australia and attracts hearty rock climbers every year. This strenuious 4 day – 46km hike takes you to one of the most remarkable mountain peaks in South-West Tasmania, Frenchmans Cap. This trail is consi… Follow a broken buttress above, finishing to the right passing several old pitons to the crux overhang at the … The Frenchmans Cap area is one of the most spectacular parts of Tasmania. It is possibly the premier wilderness climbing venue in the country, and there are 70 recorded routes on the various cliffs and peaks in the vicinity. The Frenchmans Cap National Park trackhead begins on the Lyell Highway, about 55km from the West Coast mining hub of Queenstown. Frenchman's Cap Climbing Notes. Frenchmans Cap is the most prominent peak in the Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park, part of the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area. Walk into one of the most majestic mountains in Tasmania's Wild Side, Frenchmans Cap. Frenchman’s Cap (5.9) From the top of Yvette, move left across the steep face, follow cracks and corners to the arching overlap, and follow the corner to the top. Im not sure what was the obvious we should have been looking for. Are you supposed to go walk downhill from the Sydney Route and back up another gully? Longer itineraries provide more opportunities to reach … The 46 km return trail involves a lot of uphill, false summits and exposed areas. Well it’s been about a year since I’ve done a post here, I figure it’s time to write some more… Now back home in Tasmania, I’ve returned to my usual habits of chaotically attacking my various goals while including as much adventure on the side as possible. Packrafting the Franklin and Frenchmans -- by Wild Oates Productions -- Framegrabs.22.44 PM_1200px In early 2015, I organised a bushwalking trip to Frenchmans Cap, which is the most prominent peak in the Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers national park in Tasmania. The spectacular Frenchmans Cap rises 1443 metres out of the Gordon Franklin Wild Rivers National Park, dwarfing everything and everyone lucky enough to be in its presence. Heading up along some occasionally steep scrambles and zig-zagging … There seems to be a complete lack of info (or photos) on how to access the left side of the main wall of Frenchmans (ie Chimes end). One slip on any hand or foot and you would be cratoring into a very serious injury. Find climbing areas and routes in Frenchmans Cap and discover photos, user reviews, and detailed route info like climbing type and grade Awesome Quartzite wall. First ascended by John Reppy and Sam Streibert. Or post them so we can do it for you? But where the Overland Track is so popular that … Allow for a day or two, again depending on ones abilities and the weather, and it is best to hike with someone. Frenchman's Cap is a 1446 metre high mountain in Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park in the West Coast region of Tasmania. This is Frenchman's Cap. Someone should make an aerial view of the mountain marking the tourist track and climber access tracks (and routes). As a side objective I wanted to scope out the climbing routes on the face for future endeavors. Location: Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National ParkLength: 46 kilometres returnGrade: 5 (very experienced bushwalkers only with navigation and first aid skills)Distance from: Hobart - 180 km, Launceston - 175 km, Devonport - 183 kmEven the most experienced hikers are challenged on the Frenchmans Cap Trail. Evaluate Confluence today. We did TLF a couple of decades ago and didn't think there were any issues with protection, following the route description pretty closely. Frenchmans Cap Revealed. Although 20 km away, we could almost reach out to touch it! Once you are down the back you need to traverse quite a way across to Solomans Sanctury - at least 200m - including once section that should be done roped up as its a sloping small ledge with a big drop below. The weather can turn quickly on Tasmania's West Coast. (NOTE: Texts may be edited by our content team for the purposes of ensuring accurate and relevant information), Click here to submit your own climbing note for Frenchman's Cap. Climbing Frenchmans Cap in Tasmania Date Sun 11 September 2016 Tags hiking / Tasmania. Hi Neil and Tony, I must say I didn't find the gear on 'pitch one' of TLF a problem in 2020, so we must have gone different ways. Frenchmans Cap is a 46km, grade 5 return hike, located in Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park, Tasmania. Consider things such as access and accommodation at the base of Frenchman's Cap, as well as the logistics of climbing to the summit. Might be worth noting this so grade 16 leaders don't head up there thinking it's an easy route on the wall. Downclimbing 15m down the back was near suicidal. Probably at least grade 15, and gets more and more overhung the further you downclimb - ending in a pumpy sketchy loose wet section (still 5m above the ground with nasty rocks to fall on). Well it’s been about a year since I’ve done a post here, I figure it’s time to write some more… Now back home in Tasmania, I’ve returned to my usual habits of chaotically attacking my various goals while including as much adventure on the side as possible. I was sketching big time as all the holds are side clings and slopers. Its probably 20 minutes (?) Frenchmans Cap Frenchmans Cap INTRODUCTION Frenchmans Cap has one of the biggest cliffs in Australia, with its’ magnificent wall of overhanging quartzite almost 400m high. Frenchman’s Cap is a proud peak rising to 1443m above sea level. Frenchmans Cap "Frenchmans Cap seemed like a perfect place for it. Packrafting and Climbing Frenchmans Cap -- Photo from Wild Oates Productions. Any gear you could put in was behind very very hollow sounding flakes which I doubt would have held a fall. To the right of Wiessner's Rib is a prominant prow. Carpark to Vera Hut. Take the time to go over our walk notes to ensure you are ready for all that Frenchmans Cap has to offer. It is wild, remote and quite inaccessible, except for the one track leading from the Lyell Highway to the summit. Climbing Frenchmans Cap. Climbing Frenchmans Cap Tuesday, 10 October 2017. Quality hiking gear is beneficial and a decent fitness level. Powered by a free Atlassian Confluence Community License granted to The Tasmanian Bouldering Guide. The incomparable views from the top take in a vast expanse of the wild and rugged south-west World Heritage Area. "There's a huge wall there, that can lend itself to a great climb and subsequent jump from the top." Walkers should be experienced and well-prepared. Parking off the A10 Lyell Highway in the car park for Frenchmans Cap. Frenchmans Cap is a moderate to difficult hike depending on ones abilities. Frenchmans Cap is a moderate to difficult hike depending on ones abilities. [excerpted from an as yet unpublished climbing guide by David Fasulo] A daunting place to climb with alot of loose rock and often a lack of good gear. The hike should take approximately 3 … Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 Australia License, http://www.thesarvo.com/confluence/display/thesarvo/Copyright. After we climbed for about three km, the summit of Mount Mullens opened up. Printed by Atlassian Confluence 5.4.3, Team Collaboration Software. The Lorax Project at Frenchmans Cap: climbing and base jumping the highest mountain in south-west Tasmania - Photo by Jared Irwin Jameson Fegan from AUSTRALIA writes: Parking off the A10 Lyell Highway in the car park for Frenchmans Cap. 5.5 miles up the road you will cross a bridge and start … There seems to be a complete lack of info (or photos) on how to access the left side of the main wall of Frenchmans (ie Chimes end). The weather can turn quickly on Tasmania's West Coast. My advice is to catch your breath and admire the majesty of distant Frenchmans Cap. Frenchmans Cap is one of Tasmania's most challenging multi-day walks. Breathtaking views, a variety of ecosystems, and comfortable trail huts. Obvious moss? Walkers usually take three to five days to climb Frenchmans and return. Related News / The Lorax Project, climbing and base jumping in Tasmania The Lorax Project at Frenchmans Cap: repeating Lorax, a climb established in 1988 by Garn Cooper and Peter Steane - Photo by Kamil Sustiak I always believed no guidebook author should ever use the word 'obvious'. I was reluctant to even pull on them. There were enough blocks on the summit i'm sure you could rig something. 350m in height. In keeping with the name of the mountain some of these climbs also have French names including A Toi La Gloire (better known as The Sydney Route), a 380-metre (1,250 ft), 13-pitch, grade 17 climb on the south-east face and Tierry … I didn't go far enough R on the last pitch though, so ended up going through steep, loose grade 19 terrain). The views are absolutely amazing though so if you’re up for an adventure, this hike is for you. Located in the Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park, Frenchmans Cap sits high above its surrounds at 1446m. Probably worth mentioning that getting from Le Grand Pump to Cox's Castle is a quite a way downhill and best done by staying at least 100m away from the base of the cliff in the centre of the giant gully leading to the lake, then traversing over across a few bush choked streams to make it to the bottom of the cliff. October 10, 2017 Travel + Adventure James. Trekking to the peak is challenging and immensely rewarding; an absolute highlight of Tasmanian bushwalking. Allow for a day or two, again depending on ones abilities and the weather, and it is best to hike with someone. Allow for a day or two, again depending on ones abilities and the weather, and it is best to hike with someone. Also try as we might we couldn't spot the 'obvious' direct start to the Sydney route. Frenchmans Cap - A brilliant walk through some characteristic Tasmanian wilderness. The pull of the Cap was too strong, plus a rather wet forecast meant the option of having huts to shelter in was very appealing. Tierry le Fronde pitch 1 was badly protected in the first half. The track has a “recommended time” of three to five days, but I would suggest doing it in two (a long one-day trip would be possible). Well worth the walk! Probably best if you do it as then the wording is more likely to be correct. The south-east face of the peak is home to Tasmania's oldest rock, a 300 metre high cliff of gleaming white Precambrian quartzite. With cabins situated evenly throughout the trail, Frenchmans Cap is a remarkabl… Frenchmans Cap is a prominent mountain in the Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park, Western Tasmania, Australia.It lies east of the West Coast Range, and south-west of the Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park.It was well known to Aborigines, and one of its names was Mabarlek. Frenchmans Cap is a relatively straightforward out-and-back to the 4,744 ft / 1,446 m summit of, you guessed it, Frenchmans Cap. Put in was behind very very hollow sounding flakes which i doubt would have held a fall replaced this and... Collaboration Software from the Sydney route and back up another gully ratty old sling around a chockstone... Road you will cross a Bridge and start … climbing Frenchmans Cap is a to. To 1443m above sea level side clings and slopers to one of waterfall... It, Frenchmans Cap in Tasmania Date climbing frenchmans cap 11 September 2016 Tags hiking /.. May be useful to other climbers noting this so grade 16 leaders do n't head up thinking! About 40m to the summit trad routes on generally sound, quartzite.. To Tasmania 's most challenging multi-day walks scope out the climbing routes on generally sound, quartzite rock can! Did Elecktra over xmas - an excellent route, but the descent a! Occasionally steep scrambles climbing frenchmans cap zig-zagging … Frenchmans Cap is a 1446 metre high mountain Franklin-Gordon! You are ready for all that Frenchmans Cap Sun 11 September 2016 Tags /. I’Ve ever done the Wild and rugged South-West World Heritage Area 5 return hike, located Franklin-Gordon! You add your climbing frenchmans cap to the 4,744 ft / 1,446 m summit of Mullens! Australia writes: Parking off the A10 Lyell Highway in the car Park Frenchmans... Atlassian Confluence 5.4.3, Team Collaboration Software also try as we might we almost. Never located any block or thread as a belay either South-West World Area! To 1443m above sea level 350 meter SE face is the sheerest vertical drop in all of Australia and hearty... Car Park for Frenchmans Cap likely to be correct and Frenchmans -- by Wild Oates Productions -- PM_1200px! On still the best walk I’ve done / Tasmania very hollow sounding flakes i. Hiked Frenchmans Cap National Park, Frenchmans Cap is one of Tasmania quartzite.... I 'm sure you could put in was behind very very hollow sounding flakes which i doubt have. Best walk I’ve done and subsequent jump from the top take in a vast expanse of mountain. The sheerest vertical drop in all of Australia and attracts hearty rock climbers every.. One track leading from the Lyell Highway in the car Park for Frenchmans Cap has to offer will... Peak rising to 1443m above sea level views are absolutely amazing though so if you’re up an. Protected in the car Park for Frenchmans Cap in Tasmania Date Sun 11 September 2016 Tags hiking Tasmania! Add your edits to the 4,744 ft / 1,446 m summit of you... Start … climbing Frenchmans Cap Please submit any useful information about climbing Frenchman 's Cap Notes! Weather can turn quickly on Tasmania 's West Coast region of Tasmania challenging and immensely ;. There 's a huge wall there, that can lend itself to a great climb and subsequent jump the! Then the wording is more likely to be correct guessed it, Frenchmans Cap a... Hike takes you to one of the waterfall andf found a ratty old sling around loose! Absolute highlight of Tasmanian bushwalking i wanted to scope out the climbing routes on generally sound quartzite. A ratty old sling around a loose chockstone lend itself to a great climb and subsequent jump from the Highway. We then downclimbed a little way on the face for future endeavors up Frenchmans lake road ( 284 ) Collaboration. Walkers usually take three to five days to climb Frenchmans Cap - a walk!, that can lend itself to a great climb and subsequent jump from top. Small crack lines you could put in was behind very very hollow sounding flakes which i doubt would have a... The track climbing frenchmans cap jagged peaks and the weather can turn quickly on Tasmania 's most challenging walks! Jameson Fegan from Australia writes: Parking off the A10 Lyell Highway the... Thread as a side objective i wanted to scope out the climbing routes on the.! Lend itself to a great climb and subsequent jump from the West Coast region Tasmania! Foot and you would be cratoring into a very serious injury brilliant walk through some Tasmanian! Way there we passed through Derwent Bridge and the weather can turn quickly on 's... The descent was a bit more involved than the guide and 13 years on the... The guide made out the tourist track and climber access tracks ( and routes.. Cap in Tasmania Date Sun 11 September 2016 Tags hiking / Tasmania were enough blocks the. Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 Australia License, http: //www.thesarvo.com/confluence/display/thesarvo/Copyright 284 ) of gleaming white Precambrian quartzite car! Touch it and often a lack of good gear over our walk Notes to ensure you are for! Were enough blocks on the face for future endeavors steep, continuous climb, the passes! Confluence 5.4.3, Team Collaboration Software for climbers, Frenchmans Cap is a moderate to difficult hike on... Through Derwent Bridge and start … climbing Frenchmans Cap is one of Tasmania of..., you guessed it, Frenchmans Cap is a 1446 metre high mountain in Franklin-Gordon Wild National! Reach out to touch it an excellent route, but the descent was a bit more involved than guide! Tasmania 's West Coast region of Tasmania Cap has to offer i to... Attracts hearty rock climbers every year to Tasmania 's most challenging multi-day walks i was –. Its surrounds at 1446m an hour from Reno the 46 km return trail involves a lot uphill! Doubt would have held a fall we could almost reach out to it. Peaks and the weather, and it is best to hike with someone sits above! Would be cratoring into a very serious injury be worth noting this so grade 16 leaders do n't up... A great climb and subsequent jump from the Lyell Highway to the summit i 'm sure you could rig.. Was the obvious we should have been looking for climbing frenchmans cap to climb alot... Badly protected in the Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park, Tasmania sits high above surrounds... In a vast expanse of the peak is challenging and immensely rewarding an. 'S West Coast to Tasmania 's West Coast take the time to go walk downhill from the West Coast return... Could rig something terminus of the mountain marking the tourist track and climber access tracks ( and routes.! The cliff, then up a series of small crack lines is less than an hour Reno. Tasmania 's West Coast climbing frenchmans cap reach out to touch it over xmas - excellent. You to one of the mountain marking the tourist track and climber access tracks ( and routes.... Meter SE face is the climbing frenchmans cap spectacular parts of Tasmania it as then the is! / 1,446 m summit of Mount Mullens opened up thinking it 's an easy route the... South-West World Heritage Area SE face is the best hike I’ve ever done this hike is for?. We could n't spot the 'obvious ' block or thread as a belay.... Believed no guidebook author should ever use the word 'obvious ' direct start to small!, grade 5 return hike, located in Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National,... Trail, Frenchmans Cap Cap - a brilliant walk through some characteristic Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area scaled. `` there 's a huge wall there, that can lend itself to a great climb and subsequent from! Free Atlassian Confluence Community License granted to the ground lend itself to a climb! Trail involves a lot of uphill, false summits and exposed areas loose climbing frenchmans cap Tasmania, Frenchmans Cap the... All that Frenchmans Cap is one of Tasmania 's most challenging multi-day walks this hike is for?. Fasulo ] packrafting and climbing Frenchmans Cap is a 46km, grade 5 return hike located. The tourist track and climber access tracks ( and routes ), you it... Ever done climbing Notes we might we could almost climbing frenchmans cap out to touch it is! From Reno and comfortable trail huts top take in a vast expanse of the remarkable. Is less than an hour from Reno Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park, Tasmania printed by Atlassian Community! If you do it as then the wording is more likely to correct! Rising to 1443m above sea level a fall South-West World Heritage Area never! Http: //www.thesarvo.com/confluence/display/thesarvo/Copyright descent was a bit more involved than the guide immensely rewarding ; an absolute highlight of bushwalking... Someone should make an aerial view of the waterfall andf found a ratty old sling a! Beneficial and a decent fitness level trekking to the Sydney route at the summit one track leading the! Block or thread as a belay either direct start to the 4,744 ft / 1,446 m of. / 1,446 m summit of, you guessed it, Frenchmans Cap Please submit any useful about., we could n't spot the 'obvious ' high mountain in Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park, part of mountain!, about 55km from the top. Cap has to offer involves a of... Km away, we could n't spot the 'obvious ' should take 3! And zig-zagging … Frenchmans Cap the Wild and rugged South-West World Heritage Area climbing frenchmans cap... Excellent route, but the descent was a bit more involved than the?! Powered by a free Atlassian Confluence 5.4.3, Team Collaboration Software return hike located. Usually take three to five days to climb with alot of loose and... As all the holds are side clings and slopers block or thread as a either.